Ⓜ Miracles in Elisha's Life @ The Final Days of Elijah
From Gilgal, Elijah and Elisha went to Bethel, Jericho and reached Jordan. Then Elijah struck the water with his cloak. The water divided to left and right and they crossed over.
Last Wish of Elisha
He asked for a difficult thing. Let me inherit a double portion of your spirit was his last wish. He would obtain it only if he sees Elijah being taken up. Suddenly a chariot and horses of fire, The Lord's heavenly host, appeared and Elijah was taken up in a whirl wind. Elisha took Elijah's cloak which had fallen from him. The Spirit and Power of God had descended on Elisha. The waters of Jordan divided and he crossed the river.
Miracles in Elisha's life
1. Healing of the water
The water in the city was bad and unproductive. Elisha threw a bowl of salt into the spring. The water was healed and made whole.
2. Ditches filled with water
After the death of Ahab the king of Moab rebelled against king of Israel. So he asked Jehoshaphat and the king of Edom to accompany him. As they traveled through the desert there was no water for them. So they approached Elisha. Elisha prayed and asked them to make ditches all over the valley. Without rain or wind the ditches were filled with water.
3. Widow's Oil
A widow of a prophet cried unto Elisha saying that the creditors were coming to take away her two sons as slaves. This widow had nothing but a little oil. Elisha asked her to get many jars from her neighbours and miraculously she was able to fill all the jars with oil. She sold the oil and cleared her debts and lived on what was left.
4. The Shunamite's Son raised to Life
In Shechem there was a family that was very hospitable to Elisha. So the woman was blessed with a son. Suddenly this child was very sick and he died. Elisha prayed and stretched himself on the boy's body and life was restored. He sneezed 7 times and life was restored.
5. Death in the Pot
Once when the prophets were gathered Elisha asked the servant to prepare stew. He got some wild gourds and prepared it. But the stew became poisonous. Elisha took some flour and put it in the pot and the stew became harmless.
6. Hundred men fed with 20 Loaves
Elisha was able to feed 100 men with 20 loaves and just as the Lord had said they all ate and had some left over.
All things are POSSIBLE with GOD
Surely Elisha had inherited a double portion of Elijah's spirit and he was able to perform all these miracles and the Lord's name was honoured and glorified. With God nothing is impossible. Let us have this unwavering faith in our mighty God.
Mrs Caroline Chellappa, Chennai
Elisha - Servant to Son
2 Kings - 2 God asked Elijah to choose Elisha to succeed him as a prophet. Elisha had to drop everything including his profession as a farmer to follow Elijah the great prophet to become his attendant first.
Elisha's life is a model for us how to obey God's call in our life.
1. He takes his parents into confidence in his decision to sacrifice his profession which was the means to earn livelihood for his family, to follow Elijah, which was the right thing to do as a responsible son.
2. In order to make the decision irreversible and make it impossible for him to return to his old profession he killed the oxens and cooked the meat by burning his plowing equipment which clearly shows his resolve to pursue God's calling.
This is an important principle in goal pursuit burn all bridges crossed which will take you forward towards your goal.
The progression of Elisha from Servant to Son of Elijah:
Though Elisha knew that God was going to take Elijah away he clung to his master fully knowing an opportunity in it for him to become his successor by staking his claim for double portion of Elijah's spirit or his anointing.
By defying Elijah's advice Elisha accompanied him to become his constant companion in his final journey. This proves he was a great strategist and an optimist even in impossible situations.
By asking for a double portion of Elijah's spirit, Elisha assumed the position of Elijah's firstborn son which was granted by God.This only confirmed that Elisha knew what was God's call and he fully aligned himself with that.
Elisha the prophet of many miracles progressed from Servant to Companion to Son of Elijah to inherit his anointing simply because he was passionate about God's calling and totally aligned with that.
When we progress in our relationship with God from Servant to Companion to Son/ Daughter we will receive God's greater anointing in our mission.
Let us introspect about our calling and make sure to be passionate about it.
Entertain God's Servants
In today's text we read of the Shunammite woman. She was quite wealthy and well-to-do. Elisha, the prophet, used to stop at her home regularly whenever he traveled between Samaria, Jezreel and other cities
The Shunammite woman had a remarkable quality...... She was very hospitable. Whenever Elisha visited her home she would serve food to him. She even went to the extent of suggesting to her husband to build a guest room on the roof of their house and furnish it for Elisha's comfort. And her husband too consented to her wish.
After Elisha had enjoyed this couple's hospitality for some time he desired to do something for them in return. He told his servant Gehazi, "Tell her, `You have gone through all this trouble for us. Now what can be done for you? Can we speak on your behalf to the king or the commander of the army?'" (II Kings 4:13)
The woman's reply is worth appreciating. Any other person in her place would have asked for an obligation. But, the Shunammite woman replied, "I have a home among my own people."
This expressed her contentment in life.
Determined to return her some favor, Elisha discussed with his servant what he might do for her and when he found out that the woman did not have a child, Elisha pronounced a blessing on her. According to his word, the woman bore a son the next year. Probably the Shunammite woman might have thought it was meaningless to present her problem to the man of God as her husband was old and there was no possibility for them to have a child. But God wanted to reward her for the good she did to His servant. And He accomplished it through Elisha.
Let us be hospitable to God's servants. Hebrews 13:2 says, "Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it" In Genesis 18 we read how Abraham honored the three angels and received the blessing of the Lord.
Let us be good hosts to God's servants - who proclaim the Gospel to the dying world.
Let us cheerfully come forward to meet their material needs and also earnestly pray for them so that they will minister God's Word boldly even amidst oppositions..
Manjula Premraj, Chennai
The Waters were Healed 2 Kings 2:19 -22
1. Here we see about a city which is pleasant, and well situated and convenient. Yes, we are called as the city of the Lord. Salvation is it's walls, and it's gates are his praises. Isaiah 60:14,18.
2. But it's water is bad. That means, we can't drink it, we can't use for cooking. With out water, our tongue will become dry. Yes, our soul needs the word of God, and the Holy Spirit which are our living waters. If we have the bad waters like false preaching and false doctrines, the water becomes bad and useless.
3. The land is unproductive. Because of this bad water, no plant will grow in it, so there will not be any fruits. Yes, if there is no living water in our soul which is the word of God, and the Holy Spirit, we can't produce our spiritual fruits, and we can't become a witness to God.
4. But how the people of this city made this water clean or how this water is healed? Because they went to the prophet Elisha and told about this bad water. Let us also tell our problems, whether our water is not fit to drink, or whether we can't bring spiritual fruits in our life, to our greatest prophet Jesus Christ and obey His advice.
5. Elisha told them to bring a new bowl with salt and when they brought it, he threw the salt to the water and healed that water. Now it can't cause death or will not cause the land unproductive. Yes, our life or the bowl or vessel should become new, if any one is in Christ, he is a new creature. Then add salt in all walks of our life. Salt is white which is a symbol of purity. It will give taste to the food. Like wise, we Christians should give taste to our life and in others life. It will purify and preserve the food with out spoiling. Yes, we being children of God, should help others to come out of sin and preserve our souls clean according to the word of God. Salt will dissolve itself and sacrifice itself in the water, thereby the water is healed. Yes, by our sacrifice, we can heal the water and make our land productive.
Let us submit our life, to our Heavenly father, He will heal our bad water, make our land productive with good fruits and our barren land will become suitable for living for us and for others. Amen. Hallelujah.
Dr. Padmini Selvyn.
Elijah Taken Up to Heaven